Episode 017: Jared recently had the opportunity to have an enjoyable conversation with Shepard from the “Shepard Thinks…” YouTube channel. On his channel, he shares the virtues of voluntaryism, life tips, business tips, and videos on his career in law enforcement. He delivers these messages in a well spoken, kind, and empathetic manner which we believe is vital in spreading voluntaryism to those whom have recently discovered the concept. Due to Shepard’s soft spoken, positive and peaceful delivery, Jared has suggested he be granted the honorary title of ‘Mister Rogers of Voluntaryism’. Enjoy the show!Open This Content
Episode 016: Join your host Jared as he shares a few his essays on the following topics: The Violence of Voting, Objective Morality, and In-Group Preference. Afterwards, sit a spell and join your host as we listen to a truck rant on the 2020 democratic presidential hopefuls, (and yes, he knows AOC isn’t really running, it’s all in fun). ‘Murica!Open This Content
This episode features an audio essay written by historian Carl Watner in 2006, co-founder of The Voluntaryist, and which comprises Chapter 3 of Everything Voluntary: From Politics to Parenting, edited by Skyler J. Collins and published in 2012. Purchase books by Carl Watner on Amazon here.Open This Content
Nobody asked but …
I recently read a fascinating article, listing the Mount Rushmore for each MLB franchise. For examples, the Bosox had Williams, Yastrzemski, Martinez, and Ortiz; the Cincinnati Reds had Rose, Bench, Larkin, and Votto; the Giants had Mathewson, Mays, McCovey, and Bonds.
The article inspired me to design my versions of two monuments elemental to Voluntaryism.
Mount Classical Liberalism:
- John Locke
- Frederic Bastiat
- Lysander Spooner
- Thomas Paine
Mount Modern Voluntaryism
- Ludwig von Mises
- H. L. Mencken
- Murray Rothbard
- Robert Higgs
— Kilgore Forelle
Open This Content
Nobody asked but …
I got a little depressed yesterday — I was at Walmart, in a county that went overwhelmingly for The Big Orange in the 2016 POTUS election. And I was listening to an audio of Albert Jay Nock’s Our Enemy, The State. He writes,
It is unfortunately none too well understood that, just as the State has no money of its own, so it has no power of its own. All the power it has is what society gives it, plus what it confiscates from time to time on one pretext or another; there is no other source from which State power can be drawn. Therefore every assumption of State power, whether by gift or seizure, leaves society with so much less power; there is never, nor can there be, any strengthening of State power without a corresponding and roughly equivalent depletion of social power.
Using the Pareto Principle, I would estimate that 80% of any group of people are statists (unquestioning statists). Of the remainder, 80% 0f the 20% are vaguely uncomfortable with the state but have no idea how to achieve self-ownership. Of the next remainder, 80% of the 4% still think that it is their duty to vote (an example, The Big L, LP minarchists). And so forth.
Both Albert Jay Nock and Frank Chodorov, in my view, had the idea that mass conversion of society to voluntaryism was impossible, since the state always rigs the game so that the majority of the people are being fooled. It is “the vote” itself which snookers them.
— Kilgore ForelleOpen This Content
Episode 274 has Skyler giving his commentary on the following topics: the launch of the Everything-Voluntary.com podcast network; his forthcoming podcasts on logic, stoicism, personal belief, and unschooling; an article he wrote in August 2018 explaining the premises and hypotheses of voluntaryism; and more.Open This Content