I see a lot of questions like this on Quora. It always strikes me as odd to be asking “What should I do” only in light of being a dropout. As if sitting on the education conveyor belt doesn’t require you to ask this same question. What you should do as a dropout is the same thing you should do as a human being.
My recent answer:
- Create structure for yourself. What it is is less important than that it is.
- Get a paying job. Anything will do to start.
- Get really good at the above job. Even if you don’t love it, being good at it will open up more things you like more.
- Do something every single day to add value to yourself.
- Ignore everyone who tries to guilt or pressure you.
- Have an optimistic, playful, yet focused outlook.
- Learn to tell your own story, and find inspiration in the stories of others.
This was top of the head. There’re tons of stuff! It’s sort of sad and sort of scary how hard it is for schooled minds to conceive of any kind of activities outside the system. It’s also an exciting market opportunity!