Nobody asked but …
Pursuant to a query on Facebook, books that I would hope POTUS (any POTUS) would read, before being in office or during, and why:
- All the King’s Men, by Robert Penn Warren — a cautionary tale about hubris. Many of Shakespeare‘s tragedies (King Lear, Richard III, Hamlet, Othello, MacBeth) or various iterations of Faust or Don Juan would work.
- Human Action, by Ludwig von Mises, is the best economics book.
- The Law, by Frédéric Bastiat, is the best legal book.
- Two Treatises of Government, by John Locke, and No Treason, by Lysander Spooner, are the best political books.
- The Allegory of the Cave, by Plato, is the best philosophical work.
- Don Quixote, by Cervantes, and Alice in Wonderland, by Lewis Carroll, are the best books on the absurdity of life.
— Kilgore Forelle